Both the 6.6L Duramax diesel and 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engines meet all Federally mandated emissions regulations using a complex network of emission control devices, including:
- A diesel particulate filter (DPF)
- A diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC)
- An exhaust gas recirculation system (EGR)
- Various sensors to monitor and manage the emission control system
- A selective catalytic reduction process (SCR)
The SCR system works by using diesel exhaust fluid (DEF), which is a urea-based solution used to reduce NOx emissions via a reduction reaction.